Forcing bulbs indoors isn’t difficult, but it does require proper timing. Forced bulbs make beautiful…
From the time they’re received to the first signs of poking through the soil and the grand display of blooms, tulips make a thoughtful, out-of-the-ordinary gift for anyone on your list–especially gardeners!
Spring bulbs offer a whopping dose of color and beauty just when we need it most–the far end of winter, as we’re craving signs of life and color in our surroundings.
While most tulips do not perennialize (return year after year) well in north Texas, the dazzling spring display makes them well worth the effort: they’re available in just about every color imaginable and planting is truly easy.
Here are a few key tips:
1. Purchase tulips that have been properly ‘vernalized’–chilled–to ensure a great bloom display. NHG has the only walk-in bulb cooler in Dallas-Ft. Worth, and when you purchase $100.00 or more in bulbs, we’ll store them at the proper temperature for you until it’s time to plant.
2. Plant enough. Spacing tulips too far apart or ‘soldiering’ them–planting in single, straight lines–will leave you with a disappointing display. Since they’re planted every year, they can be planted very close together–and the larger the grouping, the greater the impact. As a rule of thumb, plant about 12-15 tulip bulbs per square foot of space.
3. Plant deeply. No less than 6 inches deep and 8 inches deep is even better.
4. Plant in full sun. No fewer than 4 hours of direct sun daily; 6-8 direct sun hours is ideal.
5. Plant at the right time. While this is usually late December in our area, it depends on weather and specifically, soil temperatures. When soil temps get down to 55 degrees, it’s cool enough to plant.
Want to give a really great gift? Include a certificate for the planting, too. Your friends and loved ones will be richly rewarded with a beautiful spring! Stop in anytime to learn more about enjoying tulips in the garden.